Friday, May 2, 2014

More Sewing for Victory: DuBarry 5265 Blouse


Today's basic blouse is my fourth version of a vintage pattern from the 1940's, DuBarry 5265. In this post from last summer, I discuss some of the features that drew me to this particular princess seamed dress, which was easily shortened to blouse length. I like the sleeves, which are not gathered but shaped by three small darts at the sleeve cap. This design adds volume like a puffed sleeve, but looks a bit more tailored and grown-up. I added a small band to the lower edge of the sleeve to finish it off.

I'm not good about either making or wearing white blouses. This one is in the Robert Kaufmann Brussels Washer fabric, a blend of linen and rayon (available in white at Fabric.com here) which has some nice qualities. Since it is heavier than a shirting weight, it is opaque even in white; that must be why I picked it for a blouse. It isn't the smoothest fabric in the world against the skin, though--I find that it feels a little rough.

My favorite aspect of this blouse is the buttons, harvested from a Liz Claiborne plaid shirt found at our Goodwill-by-the-pound outlet in Asheville. They have a pearly center set in a ring of burnished metal.


The skirt is also a recent project, but I am sadly disappointed in it. The pattern is Simplicity 2451, a design which has been made to great effect by many sewing bloggers. 


I seem to have gotten the proportions all wrong--too wide and too short, and the curving front yoke just doesn't look pretty on me.


It's too bad, because the skirt has pockets, and I love the color of the silk noil fabric, a perfect caramel. Oh well, they can't all be winners, that's for certain!


The rhododendrons are in glorious bloom in Asheville! 








5 comments:

  1. From what I can see of the back, the fit looks great on you. I have that pattern but haven't tried it yet. What exactly about the front do you not like so i can make an informed decision on it? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa, my lack of success is probably at least 99% seamstress-generated. First, I shortened the skirt 2" at the petite adjustment line (I am 5'2"), but I think that really eliminated a lot of the trumpet shaping. Second, I thought the curving front yoke would be flattering, but with an untucked top it looks uneven; it can't be seen at the sides and then it peeks out at the center. Third, I have always had trouble wearing skirts well on my short-waisted figure (this is why I prefer dresses) and my recent (ahem) thickening around the middle is not helping me wear them any better!

      Hope that helps. I have loved seeing this skirt on others and didn't mean to be discouraging about it. Mostly I just wanted to be honest about a make that didn't turn out very photogenic on me.

      Thanks for the question!

      Delete
  2. I have a couple of DuBarry patterns and I love them. The fit is always wonderful. The blouse and skirt with the denim jacket is so perfect for spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand from your reply above about your concerns regarding the skirt, but honestly? It looks fine! I like it at the shorter length on you. The blouse is perfect, isn't it? Well, in terms of fit and execution, even if the fabric isn't exactly right for you. And with a denim jacket, and a background of glorious rhododendrons? Beautiful! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty lady, just jacked off to your pics here

    ReplyDelete